There's power in a nickel.
It is astounding what a NICKEL can do for children and adults in developing countries.
- 1 nickel can buy enough food to feed 10 children porridge, give 5 students pineapple for lunch, provide milk for 4 children per day
- 4 nickels can provide soap for a child for a week
- 8 nickels can provide a de-worming medicine that will last for 6 months
- 10 nickels can ensure a child has a multi-vitamin every day for a month
- 12 nickels can mean life or death from malaria by being able to have medications to treat the disease
- 14 nickels can purchase a book that will help develop reading skills at the same time teaching preventative healthcare to students
- 17 nickels can provide antibiotics to cure pneumonia in an elderly grandfather
- 40 nickels can provide a rapid HIV test whose results can make quick treatment more effective
BECOME A SPONSOR
Dr. Stan Grogg (pediatrician) and wife, Barbara, (family nurse practitioner) have participated in global outreach programs for many years. After leading medical teams to Nicaragua, Guatemala, Uganda, South Sudan, and participating with teams in Haiti, Dominican Republic, Afghanistan, Cuba, Rwanda, and Mexico, they have seen up close the tremendous needs for healthcare globally. Out of those experiences, The Power of a Nickel, a 501-3c non-profit was born.
The purpose of The Power of a Nickel is to provide quality healthcare to underserved and medically needy persons including healthcare education to support their continued health improvement.
Goals and Objectives
- Provide competent, appropriate medical care to the underserved and medically needy
- Encourage health to all through preventative health education opportunities
- Build relationships with the communities served
- Partner with local physicians, dentists, and other healthcare providers to better understand the needs and culturally appropriate care of the population served
- To serve as educational resources for the local healthcare providers
- Supply much needed medications and supplies for the communities served
- Offer a learning environment for medical students and other healthcare team members
- Give intensive training of healthcare students in the art of medicine in areas with limited or no access to lab, x-rays and other technology
- Furnish opportunities to learn about a different culture and global issues encountered
- Facilitate partnerships between the community served and local resources for the betterment of health in the communities served
Thank you for visiting this site. We hope you join us – either as a mission mobilizer (M&M) or come with us, as medical teams travel to underserved areas of our world. Your prayers, financial gifts, or service to the team and the underserved are greatly appreciated. Please read below to learn how you can help
How to Help
Donate Medical Supplies and Medications
Thank you for your interest in the Power of a Nickel. Supplies and medications for the global medical outreach trips are costly. We learn of community members who need special mobility aids such as canes, crutches, walkers, and wheelchairs. Other equipment such as nebulizers for asthmatic children and adults, air mattresses for elders confined to beds to help reduce the incidence of pressure ulcers, feeding machines/tubing for those needing to be fed through the stomach are needed at times. Our intention is that the patients we evaluate can have their basic needs met for better health.
Our wish list includes
- wheelchairs, adult crutches
- all types of first aid supplies especially ace wraps, non-stick wound dressings, roll gauze
- over the counter medications such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen. hydrocortisone cream, anti fungal cream, triple antibiotic cream, soap,
- reading glasses
- vitamins with iron for both children and adults
- infant liquid vitamins
- sturdy shoes for the school children
- science/health books for the orphanages/schools in Uganda
- large used suitcases (we carry supplies, medications, and donations of clothing etc. with us)
- dental equipment
- portable EKG and ultrasound – computer based software due to lack of electricity in some places
- portable hemoglobin analyzer with test cards
- funds to help offset costs for medical and other healthcare students to serve globally
- funds to purchase needed supplies/medications for each trip
- funds for special care such as transportation of patients to hospitals, x-rays, ultrasounds as needed when working in one of the clinics/schools
Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated by both the team and the person who is receiving care. Know that they would not have received this care if not for all of you who have joined us in this outreach program.
Donate Time and Skills
Want to be a part of the team on the ground serving the underserved? Join a trip!
Power of a Nickel is a 501 (c) (3) and will supply you with appropriate confirmation of donations.