Serving in the Inca Footsteps
Power of a Nickel, together with the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, returns to Peru, the homeland of the Inca Empire, to educate and serve in this country filled with Andean history and culture. Although a tourist destination for many, indigenous people struggle to preserve their culture, enduring poor health and markedly reduced access to healthcare services.
Both public and private care exist. This outreach focuses efforts on the men, women and children living in poverty, dependent on the public assistance for their healthcare needs.
- Continue to build the relationships with the people of Peru.
- Experience cultural differences and global health concerns
- Provide competent, appropriate medical care to an extremely underserved population
- Facilitate educational opportunities for the local population as well as provide a safe learning experience for medical students and healthcare providers
- Partner with local physicians to better understand the needs and culturally appropriate care of this population
- Request referrals for other services provided by the Peruvian Healthcare system
- Supply much needed medications and supplies for the community healthcare team that remain long after the outreach team departs
Peru Trip Information
This trip is open to any medical students, licensed medical providers, along with non medical volunteers.
Participants will arrive Lima, Peru by Saturday evening,, March 23, 2019 and the trip concludes at the Lima airport, Saturday, March 30, 2019.
If you have questions, please contact your group leader, Dr. Jodi Flanders, [email protected]
Total trip cost: $1900 pp (double occupancy) or $2200 pp (single occupancy).
This DOES NOT INCLUDE AIRFARE TO LIMA. Included are: In country travel by plane and bus, 3 meals daily, translator expenses, governmental document preparation, Peruvian doctor fees, medications and supplies for clinics, escort to clinics, and English speaking tour guides. Also included is entrance ticket, train ticket, and lunch for cultural day.
Participants will be responsible for all travel vaccinations including Hepatitis A & B, typhoid, in addition to routine immunizations. High altitude sickness is a risk, and pretravel consultation with your primary care physician or a travel clinic is recommended. More information can be found at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/peru
Evacuation insurance is required.
Trip cancellation insurance is suggested.
A NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $206 is required to hold your space. http://powerofanickel.org/
December 13, 2018 : Second payment,$744 pp (double occupancy) $1044 pp ( single occupancy) is due via check to Power of a Nickel 4520 S Birmingham Place Tulsa, OK 74105.
January 23, 2019: Final payment, $950, payable by check to Power of a Nickel 4520 S Birmingham Place Tulsa, OK 74105.
If you opt to use PayPal for payments other than deposit, please add 3% to your total cost.
$206 deposit is non-refundable. You may transfer this to another person if you find you are unable to participate but you will need to make any financial arrangements with that person.
Second payment is refundable until December 21, 2018. No refunds can be provided after December 21, although you may transfer your funds to another registered participant until January 1, 2019.
Trip cancellation insurance (different from evacuation insurance) is strongly encouraged to avoid forfeiting funds if you must cancel for any reason.
- Complete the application at www.powerofanickel.org Join a Trip - "Application"
- Submit your $206 deposit. Join a Trip - "Deposit"
- Make certain your passport does not expire before October 2019
- Make certain you have the required immunizations for Peru as stated in the Trip Information
- Upload the required documents for your team role ... Join a Trip - "Required Documents"
- Second payment due December 13 - payable by check to Power of a Nickel
- Final payment due Jan 23- payable by check to Power of a Nickel
- If you use PayPal other than for initial deposit, you must add 3% to your total