Cuba Trip Information
Dates September 21 – 29, 2024
Dr. Stan Grogg and Barbara Grogg will be your group leaders. If you have questions, please contact Barbara at [email protected].
- Participants should arrive September 21, 2024 into Jose Marti International Airport.
- We will travel to Matanza from the airport.
- There are 4 clinic days scheduled in Mantanza and surrounding areas.
- We will travel back to Havana for cultural activities on September 27th and 28th with departures back to the States on the 29th.
- Return flights should be from Jose Marti International Airport
Thank you for your inquiry about our Cuba trip. This particular trip is very different from any of the other trips with Power of a Nickel. Cuba has the largest medical school in the whole Caribbean and train physicians for deployment throughout the Caribbean and S. America. All physicians (except plastic surgeons) are employed of the government. After saying that, there are 2 physicians who are members of churches we will be working with and they are so happy to have us visit. The real problem is that when a physicians orders a prescription, the prescription is taken to a pharmacy and, sadly, the shelves are empty. Literally empty. The lack of common meds such as aspirin, lisinopril, metformin, on and on… is unbelievable. The need, then, is not so much for our medical services (although we certainly do give consultations and meds that we have with us), but rather the meds and supplies we take to our hosts. We take our listening and compassion to a wonderful people. We take our enthusiasm for the beauty of their country and their desire for us to enjoy ourselves in their world.
You will be asked to bring with you first aid items, OTC meds, and other health items. We will work in churches in Matanza. We stay in hostels (that means it is a small private “boutique” hotel) in Mantanza and Havana.. The price is based on double occupancy. There may be some single rooms available at an additional cost. We will need to know when you complete your application if you are requesting a single room. Breakfasts and most lunches are included. Our hosts will be making our specific itinerary – but this is an overview of what to expect. Our team size is a maximum of 14. The make-up of the team will not be known until we have applications and deposits.
We encourage medical and non-medical folks as well. Skills such as hair cutting, coloring, nail care and massage were in huge demand our last trip. Our hosts graciously gave us lists of items that were either not available or in dire shortage at the time of our trip. We will also be providing education and washable, reusable feminine hygiene kits that are built to last and sewn by our mission mobilizer volunteers. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Fulfill requests by community leadership for specific needs of identified individuals
- Facilitate educational opportunities for the community
- Supply much-needed medications and supplies
- Offer a safe learning environment for medical students and residents, other healthcare personnel, and ancillary team members
- Provide intensive training for students in the art of medicine, with technology limited by the local standards
- Facilitate opportunities to experience different cultures and global health issues
- Complete the application here
- Submit your $206 deposit here
- Make certain your passport does not expire 6 months after the trip
- Make certain you have the recommended immunizations
- Upload the required documents here for your team role (.pdf format)
- Your final invoice will be sent to you via email 70 days prior to departure.
- Final payment due – payable by check to Power of a Nickel will be due 60 days prior to departure.
Because the healthcare system and public health system is very good in Cuba, our roles will be different than those in other countries. We will be taking medications and supplies to our Cuban colleagues for their use long after we depart. We work closely with churches in Cuba to serve their communities by offering church-based clinics and house calls as arranged by our hosts.
This trip encourages both healthcare professionals as well as others who would like to be a part of this partnership who are not in the healthcare field.
Total trip cost: $1,500
Optional $250 to help cover the costs of medications and supplies to be left for future use by our host physicians.
This DOES NOT INCLUDE ROUNDTRIP AIRFARE TO/FROM HAVANA.
Visa $100 (Subject to Change) – This is purchased in the airport prior to your flight from Miami to Havana.
- Evacuation insurance is required.
- Trip cancellation insurance is suggested.
A NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $206 is required to hold your space.
Final payment payable by Zelle (918-629-1836) – $1300.00 or check to Power of a Nickel 3010 W Gulf Dr. Sanibel, FL 33957 – $1300.00. If paying by credit card thru Paypal, a 3% fee is charged by PayPal – so that method is $1339.00.
- Final payment for the trip is due 60 days prior to trip start date.
- 59-30 days prior to departure, 50% refund
- 29-0 days prior to departure, no refund
Trip cancellation insurance (different from evacuation insurance) is strongly encouraged to avoid forfeiting funds if you must cancel for any reason.