Peru Trip Information
February 23-29, 2020. This trip is full and closed.
Dr. Jodi Flanders will be your group leader. If you have questions, please contact Dr. Flanders at [email protected]
- Continue to build relationships with the people of Peru
- Experience cultural differences and global health concerns
- Provide competent, appropriate medical care to an extremely underserved population
- Facilitate educational opportunities for the local population
- Request referrals for other services provided by the Peruvian Healthcare System
- Partner with local physicians, Marina de Guerra del Peru (Navy of Peru), Ministry of Social Inclusion and Development, Regional Government of Loreto, Health District of Santa Maria Alto Nanay, and Win-Win Connection Association to better understand the needs and culturally appropriate care of this population
- Complete the application
- Submit your total payment via check payable to Power of a Nickel to address provided in email instructions
- Confirm that your passport does not expire before October 2020
- Make certain you have the required immunizations for Peru (including Yellow Fever) https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/peru
- Scan and send all necessary documents to [email protected]
- *Current Medical License
- *Medical School Diploma
- *Signed affidavit of authenticity (will be forwarded to you when all documents received)
- Passport face sheet
- Flight itinerary, including address of any accomodations/hotel prior or post trip
- Documentation of Medical Evacuation Insurance, minimum coverage $250,000
- * Indicates needed for PHYSICIANS ONLY
Serving in the Amazon
Power of a Nickel returns to Iquitos, Peru, to educate and serve in this country filled with the history and culture of the Amazon. Although a tourist destination for many, indigenous people struggle to preserve their culture, enduring poor health and markedly reduced access to healthcare services.
AIRFARE TO IQUITOS, PERU IS NOT INCLUDED.
- In country travel by boat and bus
- Transportation to and from Iquitos airport
- Housing in Marine Tambos 2/23-2/28/20, hotel 2/28-2/29/20 in Iquitos
- 3 meals daily, filtered water
- Governmental document preparation, Peruvian Navy escort to clinics
- Medications and supplies for clinics
- English and Spanish speaking translators, Peruvian doctor fees
Participants will be responsible for all recommended vaccinations including Hepatitis A & B, typhoid, Yellow Fever, Tdap, MMR, Polio, Influenza. Malaria prophylaxis is recommended. More information can be found at www.cdc.gov and www.headinghomehealthy.org
- Travel Clinic consultation is recommended
- Evacuation insurance is required
- Trip cancellation insurance is suggested
Cancellation Policy - THIS IS A DEVIATION FROM OTHER POWER OF A NICKEL TRIPS DUE TO REQUIREMENTS OF PRE-PAYMENT FOR ALL SERVICES.
Trip cancellation insurance (different from evacuation insurance) is strongly encouraged to avoid forfeiting funds if you must cancel for any reason.