SHARE TIME AND SKILLS!
Although Power of a Nickel provides medical care to the underserved, there are many non medical opportunities and needs as well. We would love to dialog with you on how you might help with our global outreach trips in Nicaragua, Uganda, India, Vietnam, Belize, Ukraine, Peru, Greece, Mexico and Philippines. Each in-country organization with whom we partner has different needs – clean water access, legal issues, building needs, educational support – the list is often endless. We take great pride in being able to match talents and skills to the needs of the communities in addition to our medical efforts. If interested in sharing your talents and time, being a part of our team, and experiencing a truly rewarding service trip, please email [email protected].
If serving on an international team, there are many things you can help with right in your own home…..Here are some examples:
- Our teams provide health education to the students in several primary schools in various countries. We need “storyboards” … short stories to capture the attention of the primary school children. We take a powerpoint and have it printed on large boards to be able to read/show the students. If you are interested, we can share some of the “storyboards” we have used.
- Writing skills can really be used to tell stories about some of our encounters. If you have a knack for writing – we can use you.
- Brochure writing for our various projects. Familiarity with word processing and booklet making would make our lives here at the home base so much easier.
- Fabricating treatment tables that can be taken on the airplane as checked luggage (weight and size limits). We presently use anything from benches to beds to provide care.
Contact us to find out how you can help.
DONATE MEDICAL SUPPLIES AND MEDICATIONS
Thank you for your interest in the Power of a Nickel. Supplies and medications for global medical outreach trips are costly. We learn of community members who need special mobility aids such as canes, crutches, walkers, and wheelchairs. Other equipment such as nebulizers for asthmatic children and adults, air mattresses for elders confined to beds to help reduce the incidence of pressure ulcers, feeding machines/tubing for those needing to be fed through the stomach are needed at times. First aid supplies, bandaids, bandages, ace wraps, slings, the list is endless are always welcomed. Our intention is that the patients we evaluate can have their basic needs met for better health. We physically take these items when we are on the global outreach trip. If you have supplies you would like to donate, please email [email protected]
Our Wish List
- Wheelchairs, crutches
- All types of first aid supplies especially ace wraps, non-stick wound dressings, roll gauze
- Over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen. hydrocortisone cream, anti fungal cream, triple antibiotic cream, soap, etc.
- Reading glasses
- Vitamins with iron for both children and adults
- Infant liquid vitamins
- Sturdy shoes for the school children
- Science/health books for the orphanages/schools in Uganda
- Large used suitcases (we carry supplies, medications, and donations of clothing etc. with us and leave the suitcases there with the supplies)
- Dental equipment
- Portable EKG and ultrasound – computer-based software due to lack of electricity in some places
- Portable hemoglobin analyzer with test cards
- Funds to help offset costs for medical and other healthcare students to serve globally
- Funds to purchase needed supplies/medications for each trip
- Funds for special care such as transportation of patients to hospitals, x-rays, ultrasounds as needed when working in one of the clinics/schools
Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated by both the team and the person who is receiving care. Know that they would not have received this care if not for all of you who have joined us in this outreach program. Power of a Nickel is a 501(c)(3) organization and will be happy to supply you with a letter indicating your donation.
Consistent funding allows us to increase our impact. Please consider making a monthly donation that will help us change lives. Power of a Nickel is a 501(c) 3) organization and will be happy to provide you with a donation letter. Below are just a few examples of what can be accomplished with your generosity….
- $10 will provide antibiotics for 5 children with ear infections each month
- $25 will provide antibiotics for pneumonia for 10 elders each month
- $40 will provide 40 pairs of reading glasses or purchase of prescription glasses
- $50 will provide 3 x-rays to help treat broken bones each month
- $75 per month will provide toothbrushes & toothpaste for all of our trips each year
- $100 per month will support supplies for all classrooms in one of our partner primary schools
- $25 can provide teaching materials for 2 primary classrooms
- $50 can provide reading glasses for 50 people
- $100 can provide pre-natal vitamins to 3 women throughout their pregnancy
- $250 can provide 3 teachers salaries for a month
- $300 can provide de-worming and vitamins for 200 children lasting 6 months
- $500 can purchase leather shoes and socks for 40 children
- $750 will provide a scholarship for a medical student to participate in a global health outreach trip
- $1000 can mean life or death for a child needing an MRI and surgery for a tumor
- You may make a donation toward a person or project. Please indicate to whom/what the donation should be directed by emailing [email protected] with your instructions.
- If you have no preference – wonderful. We have so many needs in the various countries that we can fulfill. No amount is too large – or too small.
- Power of a nickel is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Mail a Check
If you prefer, you can mail a donation check to Power of a Nickel 3010 W Gulf Dr. Sanibel, FL 33957.
A letter for your tax files will be emailed to you if you provide your email address. Power of a Nickel is a 501(c)(3) charity. Thank you for your support